Rent price.
Amount of charges.
Means of production of heating and water (hot and cold): collective? individual? electric? gas? Evaluate the total amount of these charges that will be added to your budget. To help you with your calculation, ask for Energy Performance Diagnostics.
Owner's requirements regarding your guarantor.
Surface of the apartment.
Nature and condition of equipment and furniture.
Check that the installations are working properly: test the water supply, electrical installation, heating, openings (doors, windows, shutters), open the cupboards.
Power outlets, telephone, TV, Internet connection.
Proximity to public transport.
Mode of parking.
Animation of the district, shops, nuisances, noise.
Security and general condition of the building.

During the visit be very attentive and do not hesitate to ask a maximum of questions (take notes if you visit several accommodations). Examine each apartment carefully.


Before visiting a home, make sure you have the documents listed below.

They will serve you to build a credible and stable record, to prove your seriousness. The owners want to make sure that rents will not be late or not returned due to financial difficulties.


 Photocopy double-sided of your identity document (yours + that of your guarantor).
 Photocopy of the last three pay slips (those of your guarantor + yours if you have any).
 Photocopy of the last tax notice (that of your guarantor + yours if you have one).
 The last 3 receipts of the guarantor's rent (or title deed).
 An attestation from the employer (of your guarantor + yours if you have one).
 A proof of address (yours + that of your guarantor).
 A bank account statement (yours + that of your guarantor).


Pay your rent as well as charges and bills on time!
Subscribe home insurance.
Take out a boiler maintenance contract if there is one.
Maintain housing and make minor repairs:
Replacement of light bulbs and sanitary joints
Unblocking the pipes
Cleaning the ventilation
Repair all the items you have deteriorated
Etc ...


CAF (Family Allowance Fund)

There are two types of housing benefits provided by CAF: Personal Housing Assistance (APL) and Social Housing Allowance (ALS). The amount varies according to your resources, the rent, the nature of the accommodation ...


Foreign student

If you are a foreign student, you can also apply for housing assistance. You will need to provide your residence permit. Do not wait to receive your final title to return your file. Return the incomplete to the CAF, you will send the copy of the residence card as soon as you receive it.



Requests must be made to the CAF on which your home depends. For more information and an estimate of the amount of assistance that can be attributed to you, visit


Be careful

iF you want to continue to collect your housing assistance during the summer holidays, you must inform the CAF that you keep your home otherwise your help may be cut off on July 1st.



Free advance deposit (500 € maximum), in the form of a 0% rate loan that you have to repay in small installments.

Refund conditions:
• Deferred payment of 3 months.
• Monthly payments of 20 € minimum.
• Total repayment obligation within 3 months after the departure of the accommodation.


Conditions of award

To benefit from this assistance, you must be under 30 years old and be in one of the following cases:

To be a State Scholar.
Justify a fixed-term employment contract of at least 3 months in progress at the time of application.
Justify, during the six months preceding the application, one or more fixed-term contracts for a cumulative minimum duration of 3 months
Justify an internship agreement of at least 3 months in progress at the time of application.
For more information:



-The lease is mandatory, it sets the rules that will govern your occupation of the premises, its duration, the terms of payment of the rent and those of its termination. It must be written, dated and signed by both parties.
-Home insurance is mandatory and must cover rental risks. You will need to bring your insurance certificate to the key collection.
-If the landlord promises to do some work before your installation, ask them to sign in.
-The furnished lease
It has a minimum duration of one year renewable.
At the signing of the lease, you will have to pay a "deposit" equivalent to two months of rent excluding maximum charges.
-The unfurnished lease
Its minimum duration is 3 years renewable.
When signing the lease, you will have to pay a "security deposit" equal to one month's rent excluding maximum charges.
-The lease for a roommate (2 cases):
A single lease for several tenants, and a single rent.
One lease per tenant, each paying the rent fixed in the lease.


-The inventory of places of entry is a document signed between you and the owner, used to describe the condition of the accommodation when you arrive. The owner must give you a copy.
-It must be precise and complete. Note everything! (the stains on the floors, the number of pegs in the walls ...). Also note the number of keys issued. Take up the meters (EDF, water, gas) if these supplies are collective.
-If you discover hidden defects (blocked pipe, hot plates out of order ...), you must report them to the owner by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt.
-This inventory will be compared to the inventory of places of exit and will determine your responsibility in the degradation of housing. Attention, the cost of repairs will be charged!


-In the event that electricity, gas, water charges ... are not included in your rent, you will have to open the meters in your name. Remember to pick up the indexes and ask the name of the previous tenant before starting the process.
-Electricity, gas: This subscription will cover your electricity production and possibly your heating (gas or electric) and your production of hot water (gas or electric).

 CODAH (Le havre, Harfleur)
         19 rue Georges Braque
         76085 le havre Cedex
VEOLIA WATER (Ste Addresse, Montivilliers ...)
         Tel: 0.969.395.634



The notice of departure allows you to leave your accommodation at any time. Nevertheless, it is important to respect a few rules:

• You must give your leave by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt at least 1 month before the date of your departure if you occupy a furnished apartment and 3 months if it is unfurnished. This notice of departure will take effect upon receipt of your letter.
• Authorize your landlord to visit your home for relocation at least a few hours per week.
• You must pay your rent and your expenses until the expiry of your notice, whether you physically leave the premises or not.


Before handing over the keys, you must make your inventory of places of exit.
It must be established with as much precision as the state of entry and must also be made in 2 copies and be dated and signed by both parties.
If the inventory states that work is to be performed at your expense, the amount of this work will be charged to your deposit. Be vigilant on the drafting of the inventory of places of exit. He must only note the state of the elements mentioned in the inventory of places of entry. Be careful also that the owner does not charge you for work under normal wear and tear.
As you arrived, have the consumption indexes read on the meters.



The security deposit must be returned to you within a maximum of 2 months from the date of delivery of the keys (1 month if the state of exit and identical to the inventory of places of entry).
If you owe money to the owner for repairs, these sums will be deducted from your security deposit and your lessor will have to provide you with proof.




Contact your electricity suppliers, gas, water, telephone, internet, etc ... to cancel your subscriptions and plan the meter reading.

Also inform your insurer of your move. You can either transfer your contract to a new apartment, or put an end to it.

Communicate as soon as possible your new address to the Family Allowance Fund, the Social Security, the Treasury, your bank, your school, your mutual, etc ... Possibly, subscribe a mail tracking contract with the Post Office.



Town Hall: 02 35 19 45 45

CROUS : 02 35 19 74 74

Public Transport LIA : Tél : 02 35 22 35 00.

CAF : 222 Bd. De Strasbourg 76600 Le Havre. Tél : 0 810 25 76 80

ADIL (legal Information on rentals) : 100 Bd. Clémenceau 76600 Le Havre. Tél :

Département Reception Point: house of Justice and law 8 rue Emile Sicré 76600 Le Havre Tél : 02 35 45 32 62



This guide is intended exclusively for a student audience.